Although there are several considerations when creating a new website, we seldom consider the domain name disciplines. Domain names often serve as a juggernaut to influence click-through rate, type-in traffic, branding, building confidence, word-of-mouth publicity, offline ads, and capturing more interest in the SERPs.
Thus, we must ensure that the domain name sends the appropriate signals to maximize its value. The following are the most credible points to consider when creating the perfect domain name.
1. Choose The Appropriate Extension – While the most common extension is.com, this does not mean that one can automatically choose it without considering the following factors:
The Purpose of the Website: If the website is business-oriented, a.com or.biz might be appropriate. On the other hand, if the domain is intended for an organization,.org is the most viable alternative. As a result, choose a TLD that is synonymous with your domain.
If the domain is geotargeted, consider the SEO first. There are approximately 200 different country code TLDs; choose one that corresponds to the country code of the users’ website.
However, if the objective is global to improve search engine rankings,.com is the preferred alternative. Apart from that, here are some common extensions that you can use according to their intended use:
- .co is an acronym for business, trade, and culture.
- .org domains are reserved for non-commercial entities and charities.
- .net: websites devoted to technological and Internet infrastructure.
- .biz: reserved for corporate or commercial purposes, such as e-commerce websites.
- .info: websites that provide statistics.
- .me: personal blogs, resumes, or websites.
2. Keep It Simple and Intuitive – Choose a straightforward, concise, and easily associated domain name associated with your brand. It should be simple to pronounce, clearly informative, and convey the essence of your company.
3. Use a Broad Keyword – In 2019, it is strictly prohibited to use keyword-rich domain names, as Google is biased toward exact match and partial match domains. For instance, avoid using website development (dot) com or ios developers (dot) com in favor of a brand name that encompasses your work. Consider the perspectives of web nerds (dot) com and app geeks (dot) com. More briefly, you can create your exclusive brand names, such as Amazon (dot) com or codiant (dot) com.
4. Avoid using numbers and hyphens – Do not drive the viewers astray with spelling errors. Individuals who encounter a numerical value in your domain name can type it numerically or in characters. If you wish to add a number, you can purchase numerical and character variations and redirect it to the correct one.
5. Exercise Caution When Obtaining Trademarks – Research your domain name before finalizing it. It does not infringe on the trademarks of any of your rivals. Otherwise, you could face legal action in the worst-case scenario.
6. Don’t Be Late – Fortunately, if you find a suitable domain name that is open, act quickly and register it, as domain names sell quickly.